Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lion House Clam Chowder

1 c onion finely chopped
1 c celery finely chopped
2 c potatoes finely chopped
2 cans 6 ½ oz. each, minced clams with juices
¾ c butter (can use only ½ cup)
¾ c flour
1 qrt half and half
(I have used the fat free half and half, and really is ok, but nothing replaces the real stuff!)
1 ½ tsp salt
Pinch of pepper
Drain clam juice and pour over veggies in pot. Add enough water to barely cover and simmer over medium heat until tender. In the meantime, melt butter, add flour. Blend. Cook, stirring constantly. Add cream, cook and stir with wire whip until smooth & thick. Very important it gets thick. Add undrained veggies and clams. Heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

From Frozen: Thaw in fridge (it takes a while- I did mine overnight) then re-heat on stove. You may have to add a little more milk or 1/2 and 1/2 before you serve it to thin it out a bit. I added just a little.

***also, just a sidenote. When I make this for myself I don't add all the clams. I don't like the texture of them. I actually buy the bottles of just clam juice and only add one can of the actual clams and then just a little jar of the juice. Just make it as clammy as you want it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment